Labeling is an essential component of production that has many functions; the consumer identifies with labels and every manufacturer spends time and money on label design. In this short article, we take a look at the various functions that labels provide.
- Product contents – By law, the contents of a product must be listed on the label. Today we have state of the art bottle labeling machines that create labels on many different materials, with eco-friendly solutions.
- Product instructions – Essential to ensure that the consumer knows how to handle the product, which is essential for medication and consumable goods.
- Product warnings – There are laws in place to make sure that manufacturers place specific warnings on their products. ‘Keep out of reach of children’ is one example of a product warning.
- Pricing – Usually accompanied by a barcode, the price of a product mist be displayed. Shoppers like to be able to compare prices at a glance, therefore the price should be included in the labeling.
- Branding – Your packaging should reflect your brand, both in style and quality. Most manufacturers hire a third-party company to design their packaging & labels, which ensures top quality and effective branding.
- Logistics – Labels contain data that can be read by a scanner and that allows the logistics provider to track the consignment at any stage of the transportation process. When you send a package by courier, simply go to their website and paste in your consignment number into the search window and it will tell you the precise location of the package.
There is an entire industry dedicated to label design and printing, while some manufacturers have in-house labeling and packaging solutions as part of the manufacturing process. Big manufacturers employ legal teams to make sure that they comply with all the regulations, while product label and packaging design is widely available from small businesses.
Ink is now available in non-toxic forms; a company that uses eco-friendly packaging and labels can certainly be called green. Recycled materials can be transformed into packaging and many manufacturers use bio-degradable packaging, which is a great example to others and boosts the company image. Click here for information about the next level of digital development that is on the horizon.
Small Business Labelling Solutions
If you produce wine or beer, you can create your own labels with a small investment; search online for labeling machines and browse the different types, including bottles, cans, jars and cartons. You don’t need much space to create labels and you’ll save a lot by in-house labeling; This means you don’t need any 3rd party involved in the manufacturing process, giving you independence and full control.
Product Labeling & the Law
All product labeling must conform to the many rules and regulations set out by the FDA; you can hire a company to design your labels that fully comply. Many NJ businesses handle their own packaging and labeling, thanks to available technology and if you would like to join them, search online for label machinery in your region.